Jazzway 6004 is a not-for-profit organization that promotes straight ahead jazz and blues in an affordable and intimate setting and helps build local jazz audiences for our talented area musicians. Jazzway 6004 developed out of a need for more jazz venues in Baltimore to showcase the tremendous wealth of jazz talent in our area.
We also encourage visiting artists to contact us to perform at our venue.
JAZZWAY 6004 is the home of local jazz/blues singer Marianne Matheny-Katz and her husband, Howard Katz, as well as a hospitable new venue for house concerts in Baltimore. This elegant party-house was built in 1966 by a well-known Baltimore bookie who hosted lavish, high-profile soirees. Local legend has it that both Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra were guests here. Marianne and Howard have lovingly refurbished the home and offer it now as a fun and intimate place to hear great jazz and other live music. The performance space seats about 65 people. We have a complete sound system and a 6-ft Baldwin Grand piano.
Concerts are generally held on Saturdays - although there may be occasional exceptions. We offer “simple concerts” (no food), “dessert concerts” and “special event dinner concerts” (usually 1 or 2 per year) All tickets include coffee and soft drinks, dessert concert tickets include an elegant dessert, cheese and fruit buffet and dinner concerts include dinner and dessert. ALL tickets include entry into a merchandise raffle plus a chance to mingle with the artists.
HOW RESERVATIONS WORK: ALL TICKETS ARE SOLD IN ADVANCE - NO TICKETS ARE SOLD AT THE DOOR , NOR IS MONEY EXCHANGED.
The house concerts are booked as private parties and the tickets are donations to the musicians. ALL ticketing is "will call" or "print your own ticket" through Instant Seats. All ticketing is done on-line and Instant Seats does not take phone orders at this time. We are working on a point of sale credit card system, but it is not in place yet. You can purchase tickets for separate events by clicking on "Buy Tickets and CD's" on our website and choose the ticket icon.
We also allow the option of printing out the reservation form located on the same section of the website and mailing it to us with a check. All checks must be received 3 days before the concert is held, but on-line tickets can be purchased up to 4 hours before the concert. Please be advised that popular concerts sell out quickly, so we strongly suggest that you purchase on line tickets as soon as you can.
HOW TO STAY INFORMED ABOUT OUR EVENTS?
We announce our events on WEAA and WYPR as well as through jazz calendar links provided by the Baltimore Jazz Alliance (www.baltimorejazz.com ) and DC Jazz (http://www.dcjazz.com/index.htm). Our concerts often sell out quickly, so to get direct announcements for our jazz events, go to the home page where it says: "Join the e-mail list". Type in your e-mail address and hit the "JOIN" button next to it. We will not share any of your information with others. If you have attended a concert here - please encourage your friends to visit the website and join the e-mail list. If you enjoyed youself at one of our concerts, please consider leaving some feedback in our "Guestbook" We need your help to preserve Baltimore's Jazz Heritage and to support our wonderful local jazz artists!
A NOTE TO ARTISTS: A few ground rules -
- Because we are in a residential neighborhood, we present only 6-8 concerts each year. So there are few slots and many requests to perform. We are dedicated to the artists and the music and that is the only reason we present concerts. We do an enormous amount of work to prepare for these concerts, so we expect some commitment and a professional attitude from the artists.
- We are a not-for-profit and all monies minus costs go directly to the performing artist. However, we can't guarantee a minimum payment or pay for transportation costs. All revenue comes from ticket receipts so the amount made by the artist will depend on the number of patrons brought in. You must responsibly assess your ability to market yourself.
- ALL bookings have been turned over to a selection committee and selections are ongoing throughout the year. We have too many requests to respond to them on an individual basis, so please don't be offended if we can't answer your e-mails and requests personally. If you send multiple e-mails requesting an update on the selection process or hostile e-mails, we can guarantee you won't get an answer.
- We accept artist submittals throughout the year, and select artists on a month to month basis. Selections depend on several factors: the quality of the music; the uniqueness or innovativeness of the artist; the popularity or following of the artist (i.e. can they bring in an audience) and sometimes the meaningfulness of their regional sound or local performing history. We think that jazz is not just about the past and its foundation, but about where jazz is headed in the future and how relevant and connected it is to audiences in the present. We also try to present several artists every year that represent a wider view of the genre – be it fusion with Latin, pop, blues, or world music.
- If you are a local musician, please consider supporting the venue and other artists– at least occasionally. You may even offer to volunteer, or you can contact us at the phone number on the website or e-mail us at email@example.com, and we will give musicians a special rate to attend. When we have a number of artists vying for slots, with equal skills that we are enthusiastic about presenting, we will select the best of the best and the artists who support the venue and the musical community. The panel is more apt to take a performer seriously when they are willing to support the venue and other artists.
- We would love to book more out-of-town artists, but we have found in 6 years of presenting concerts, that unless an out-of-town artist has a large following and an aggressive publicity plan (that means actively and effectively contacting press and radio to execute articles and interviews in local media as well as a very active social media campaign), there is a high probability that these concerts will be undersold because the artist is largely unknown in our area (of course there are exceptions). We don’t like to undersell concerts because we don’t want artists coming from a long distance, only to be disappointed with their revenue
- Our long term goal is to present about 6 concerts a year at Jazzway 6004 and branch out to several other larger capacity venues to present more frequent concerts with larger bands and more touring acts. These acts would require at least 150 seats and ideally we are looking for venues to work with us that can seat between 200-250 patrons. We have a very successful brand and excellent marketing skills with a dedicated following and extensive mailing list. People know that we maintain high standards, which is why our concerts are so popular. If you represent a venue that is interested in working with us, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in performing, please send your electronic press kit to email@example.com OR you can mail your press package and demo CD to the address below and all materials will be given to our selection panel. Please include Saturday dates that you would be available after August 2013. The venue address and mailing address is:
JAZZWAY 6004 - 6004 Hollins Avenue - Baltimore, MD 21210
Thanks for visiting and for your support!!
Marianne & Howard